Friday, August 14, 2009

Unscientific poll No.2 ...

So as part of my on-going series of unscientific polls inquiring as to regional cryptid animals around the world, we move on to El Chupacabra...

Now, the Chupacabra is a relatively new cryptid. The first report of this animal didn't occur until 1995, which surprised me, actually. There was, in fact an X-Files episode that aired the creature, and a few of the subjects who replied to this poll noted that X-Files was where they learned about it.

More interesting, perhaps, is that I actually think this poll is more reflective of the creature, in perspective of the region where it supposedly inhabits.



Look! I made a graph!! All by myself!!!


oooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.....aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa....
(Please marvel at my brilliance, this doesn't happen very often...)

So here's the graph ... the blue bars represent "yes" answers by region, red bars "no" answers. The numbers on the Y Axis (oh yes, I know what a Y axis is!) are the number of votes for each type of answer. There were 15 votes total. Maybe next time I'll figure out how to make the bars based off of percentages.

I found it interesting, that out of the 3 people from the middle region (midwest) one person had heard of the Chupacabra, and the two others had not. For the record, the subject from the Midwest who DID know about the Chupacabra, learned about it on Scooby Doo.


The Southern region is unsuprising, considering that the Chupacabra generally is attributed to Mexico and Central America, and with the high population of Latinos living in the Southern states is very high; word travels. In fact, that's how I knew what a Chupacabra was ... Sarah Perez told me about it in the 6th or 7th grade. I think she might have been threatening me in a passive agressive way, but I don't remember.

Yay for the Chupacabra! I mean, unless you're a goat.
-------------------------------
This blog is brought to you by:

Blue Moon Ale
The Merchant of Venice
Subway Sandwiches
Microsoft Excel


1 comments:

Phoenix said...

Quite honestly, I learned about the Chupacabra from this episode of Red vs Blue...and if you don't know what Red vs Blue is, or haven't seen it, think Halo meets Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sx_3m-FhAI

It's brilliant.